Friday, May 28, 2010

Velvet blossom, tutorial
















I will be demonstrating velvet and fabric blossoms, Saturday night at the International Quilt festival in Long Beach.
Guests will get a handout from 14 different teachers including me!
Cost only 15.00
So here is a velvet bloom to try yourself.
I always iron interfacing to the back of the velvet first.
Cut one flower shape, 4 net circles a bit bigger, and find a center, stamen or bead or trinket.
Cut small hole in middle, layer one net on top of velvet and the other three nets go underneath.
Run a big gathering stitch around the hole, stitching should go across base of each petal.
Insert stamen and pull up thread and tie off.
Take the bloom to a candle and holding above flame, singe the tulle. Be careful!
It will curl and wrinkle and look really cool!

11 comments:

Debby said...

Oh my gosh, this is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.
debby

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Hi Lilla

Your velvet flowers are 'oh so lovely'!!
I'll have to get some velvet and tulle next week and make one and try not to burn the tulle LOL!!!

You're just such a creative lady!

It's getting cold here so I need a pretty flower to tell me Spring will eventually be just around the corner again!!

Have a great weekend.

Home and Heart said...

So pretty. Thank you for sharing the technique!

Terri's ThreadArt said...

I just love you for all the great idea's you share! Thanks so much ~ I can't wait to try this!
Terri

Barbara Jean said...

These are great!!
and so nice of you to share tutorial.
Hmmm. Do I have any velvet around here?? =)

Can't wait to try this.

blessings and thanks
barbara jean

Barbara Jean said...

Lilla,
Thanks for the note on one of my blogs.
I am feeling great! (bi-polar ups and downs, but more ups I am glad to say) =)

I'm going to post about your great place here.

Thank you for sharing tutorials of your lovely work.

blessings

barbara jean

Debra said...

Wonderful tutuorial! Thank You!

Annesphamily said...

This is so spectacular! I am loving this! I am so glad I came over! Come join me soon! Anne

Thank you!

Ellie said...

Wow, this area so beautiful!!!
I want some velvet; I'll have to go visit the Thrift Shop~
Thanks for the inspiration!

The Rustic Victorian said...

Really beautiful, looks like fun to try. Thank you for the info on how.
Marcie

Nostalgia at the Stone House said...

Hi Lilla,
Thank you so much for this brilliant tutorial - I have used your idea to make Birthday blossoms for a friend of mine (shown on my blog today) - They were just what I needed to make her gift special.

Happy Easter,
Niki