Monday, November 28, 2011

Festival overview


This is a gift I made for my teen grand daughter, matches her bathroom.

Quilt show:
My classes were good, not great!
I did not see any new ideas in patterns or decor.
Lots of advances in machines and technology for quilters were on display.
Need a big house for a lot of them.
Disappointed in the fabrics, mostly hand dyed and batik, not the pretty prints and French fabrics I enjoy.
I was so busy teaching I could not take a class myself, cannot comment on those.
I think overall, the show needs to attract our young people more, update trends and re-think projects for our busy lives.
This is one person's opinion.
Comment if you also attended the show, what are your thoughts?

2 comments:

The English Romantic said...

Hi Lilla,
I didn't attend this show but in London recently it was great to see the work from lots of young people in the designers section along with hoards of school and college kids on a day out.
They were all very enthusiastic about there work and hads some wonderful ideas.
Just what we need.
Hugs Angela.

Katie said...

I didn't get a chance to make it to the show myself...there was another bead show going on here in town (I live in the Houston area) at the same time, so it was just a very busy time for me...But, I think that, if they focus more on techniques for mixed media and how to use quilting techniques in those projects, I think they could attract a younger crowd. I know that may have affected my decisions - I love a lot of the projects I see that combine different media.

And, I don't know if they had it or not, but demos or time spent on just the basics would be something else that could draw younger people in. My mother never taught me to sew (like she had been taught), so it's a skill that could potentially get lost, to some extent, unless there are people willing to sit down and show us "young'uns" how to do it. I know that this sort of craft can come back - knitting and crochet have made a HUGE resurgence in the past 15 years or so...and, even just basic sewing classes could help people realize they'd like to do more and lead them to try out quilting...