Monday, October 28, 2013

Project Paris photo book

I have made books from cereal boxes and other boxes over the years
Here is a fun way to create a travel photo book Size of mine 5 x 5"
This is the first part, so if you are going to make one, I will add the final tutorial about binding the book and making some pockets.   That will be in a few days.

 First open the box up flat and trim for front ,back and spine
I had to narrow my spine by scoring lines closer.               Paint both sides with acrylic paint and dry
I used yellow, white and tan paint

Collage the inside and out with themed paper. I cut up a map, some pictures, music and bits of old french book text.
I had a butterfly that need some color, some words from a print and pictures from a travel brochure. I used Elmer's glue and a brayer to flatten things out.

Did you notice I used a french onion soup box?  Clever!
Next cut 3 signatures of 8 pages each.  Fold 4 in half. I used watercolor paper.
Make a cover for each stack of paper by printing a large image to cover the whole sheet
Fold in half and encase signatures.
I used scrapbook paper that I copied, .a copy of a Paris folder from Anthropology, and a collage I made in Picasa.
signature covers
The covers of signatures do not have to fit perfectly..
Here is the inside of my book covers.

I smudged the paper and card edges with an inkpad.

Next time I will add directions for stitching a cool binding and some other interesting ideas I have.

6 comments:

Gill said...

Thanks Lilla - I'm going to try this now! I'm looking forward to the next instalment!

Chris Flynn said...

Very clever Lilla! French Onion Soup, French themed book. Authentic, inside and out!
Made me smile this morning!
Thanks!
hugs, Chris

linda smith said...

well this is just wonderful

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Love these ideas you inspire us with Lilla - thank you!
Shane x

Rebecca Ednie said...

What a clever, environmentally friendly idea! Turned out so beautiful!

Lottie said...

Wow Lilla thank you so much for sharing. I haven't been on here for a few days as I have been busy working on one of your tutes on your Etsy - and having so much fun. I used cereal boxes for that too - but not in the clever way you have. It would have saved me ages not having to do a 'spine' and I still have to do a cover for the whole front and back - nearly finished.

I adore your new header. And working in Adobe - gosh I wish I could do that